Wednesday, September 6, 2017

What's the big deal with social concern and awareness?

Seemed like an ordinary afternoon when Kari, a student, visited my office.

"We cannot save the entire community," I reminded her.

"But that's what I'm hoping for," she remarks.

Left arrow key button made the powerpoint presentation move to the next slide. We both stare at the laptop screen.

Like a taxi driver with nowhere to go, no passenger, no purpose, no change, no affirmation, and no accomplishments, students now need this too. To find their life's purpose. Even though we are different generations, direction is important.

I remember when I was Kari's age, didn't know what I wanted to become. The path before me seemed unlit and confusing and my life had no meaning. I did not even like the college course I put in my UPCAT application. I was looking for a purpose. I needed to see the bigger world and see my role in it. I wanted to know my contribution.

We just fell asleep and woke up disappointed in a tiny and dreary room. I was in high school and I took rat poison with two of my classmates. Hopeless. Sad / melancholic, even suicidal.

It's an emotion, a positive emotion. It feels good to help others. Social concern and awareness, unlike what most people think, I believe, is a positive emotion.

I thought all I knew was hopelessness. If you put a coin near your eye, it would seem larger than everything else. I was too focused on myself. I needed to know that life was bigger than I am. That there was the idea of others, of the world. That my story is the same as other people's story. And that together, we can change our stories. When I focused on others, everything made sense.


No comments:

Post a Comment